Many patients express that they have experienced a boost in their self-esteem after undergoing the rhinoplasty procedure. Because the nose is the most prominent feature of the face, it is extremely common for patients who are unhappy with the appearance of their noses to suffer from self-esteem issues. Through rhinoplasty, we are able to help patients restore confidence in their overall appearance. The confidence a patient gains after rhinoplasty can significantly improve his or her quality of life. If you are dissatisfied with the size, shape, or other elements of your nose, you may benefit from rhinoplasty.
While the benefits of rhinoplasty often outweigh any pain or discomfort experienced during the recovery process, patients should be fully aware that it is a serious surgical procedure. Because of this, patients should fully understand the benefits and risks associated with rhinoplasty. As with any surgery, there are risks involved. While most patients will be happy with the results of their rhinoplasty surgery, some patients will develop complications during or after undergoing the procedure. One of the easiest and best ways to minimize your risk of complications during and after surgery is by choosing a plastic surgeon that specializes in rhinoplasty and is board certified. Los Angeles facial plastic surgeon Geoffrey R. Keyes is certified by both the American Board of Plastic Surgery and the American Board of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery. Dr. Geoffrey R. Keyes has dedicated almost four decades of his professional life to helping patients of all ethnicities achieve dramatic, yet natural-looking results.
Rhinoplasty Recovery Tips
Los Angeles rhinoplasty patients should expect the recovery phase to last from one to six weeks. Patients should also expect to experience some amount of pain or discomfort upon waking up from surgery and throughout the first few days to a couple of weeks after undergoing the rhinoplasty procedure. We have composed a list of rhinoplasty recovery tips to help make your recovery process as easy and painless as possible:
- Diligently follow all post-operative instructions: To ensure optimal results, it is vital that you carefully follow all post-operative instructions.
- Get enough rest: It is crucial that patients spend much, if not all, of their time resting during the first few days after undergoing rhinoplasty. Resting will help promote healing as well as minimize swelling.
- Appoint a caregiver: Because you will likely feel uncomfortable, groggy, and nauseous following your rhinoplasty, we strongly recommend that you have someone to help care for you for at least the first couple of days after the procedure. Many of our Los Angeles rhinoplasty recovery patients find it helpful to have help for the first week after their surgery.
- Take your medication: It is important that patients take all prescribed and recommended medications as advised. This is especially true of antibiotics and pain medication.
- Elevate your head: Patients should rest and sleep with their heads elevated after undergoing rhinoplasty. Elevating your head will help minimize swelling after the rhinoplasty procedure.
- Don’t smoke: Smoking interferes with the healing process, which could lead to issues with wound healing.
- Don’t wear eyeglasses: You should not wear eyeglasses for the first few weeks after surgery. You do not want anything to jeopardize the results of your rhinoplasty, especially your eyeglasses. If you must wear eyeglasses during the recovery phase, please wear a protective splint over your nose or simply hold the eyeglasses in front of your eyes to protect the nose from the pressure of the eyeglasses.
- Avoid strenuous activity: Avoid strenuous activity for at least the first few weeks after undergoing rhinoplasty surgery. The movements during strenuous activity could move your nose too much as well as put you at risk for getting hit in the nose.
- Don’t wear facial cosmetics: You should refrain from wearing facial cosmetics for the first two weeks following your rhinoplasty surgery.
- Don’t wear over-the-head clothing: Avoid wearing clothing that you must pull over your head.
- Stay hydrated: It is important that you drink plenty of fluids during the rhinoplasty recovery phase. This will help prevent dehydration as well as help minimize swelling after surgery.
- Avoid blowing your nose: You must not blow your nose for the first two weeks after surgery.
Schedule a Personal Consultation
To learn more helpful rhinoplasty recovery tips, or to schedule a personal consultation, please contact Los Angeles plastic surgeon Geoffrey R. Keyes today.