Revision rhinoplasty may involve a recovery period of a few weeks. During this period, patients should take special care to ensure proper healing and desirable aesthetic outcomes.
Double board certified plastic surgeon Dr. Geoffrey R. Keyes provides revision rhinoplasty to patients in Beverly Hills, Los Angeles, Bakersfield, California, and surrounding communities.
The Initial Few Days
The patient should get plenty of rest during the initial 48 hours post-surgery. Specifically, patients should:
- Sleep with their heads in an upright position
- Wear clothing that buttons in the front instead of going over the head
- Use the toothbrush gently to avoid irritation of the nose and upper lip
- Restrict facial movement as much as possible
- Apply cold compresses to the mid-face and nose
- Consume soft foods that still have adequate amounts of nutrients and fiber
- Avoid showers and take baths until the bandages are taken off
- Avoid blowing the noses
- Change the gauze and bandage as directed by the surgeon
First Few Weeks
Patients can usually return to work within two weeks after their procedure. But they must still monitor their activity level and protect the tender tissues of the nose. The patient should undertake the following in the first several weeks after the surgery:
- Avoid aggressive exercise until the surgeon instructs otherwise
- Limit the intake of sodium to decrease post-operative inflammation
- Wear sunscreen with a minimum SPF of 30 whenever stepping outside in the day
- Not wear sunglasses or glasses for a minimum of four weeks, and use chin rests for frame support, if necessary
It is vital for patients to visit the surgeon for scheduled follow-up appointments after the revision rhinoplasty. The first post-op appointment usually takes place a week after the procedure.
During this appointment, the surgeon usually removed the sutures and nasal packing. Subsequently, the patient will have periodic follow-up appointments for the next few months.
Temporary Side Effects
Long-term complications are rare in revision rhinoplasty. However, the procedure can have some temporary side effects such as:
- Bruising: Bruising usually occurs around the eyes and resolves within ten days of the procedure.
- Discomfort: The patient may feel soreness and irritation, especially in the sites where the surgeon has reshaped the nose or eliminated tissue for a bone graft. In a majority of the cases, OTC pain meds can help manage the discomfort.
- Inflammation: The most visible inflammation typically resolves after some weeks. But it may take between six months to one year for the swelling to dissipate entirely.
- Anesthesia Side Effects: Certain patients may feel nauseous under the effect of anesthesia. However, this feeling usually subsides as the anesthetic wears off.
- Sinusitis: Some patients may experience swelling of the sinus passages combined with temporary alteration in the voice as well as the excess production of mucus.
- Nosebleeds: The presence of some blood discharge for up to 72 hours following the rhinoplasty is normal. While spontaneous nosebleeds after this duration are not usually serious, patients should contact their surgeons if this happens.
Will there be Permanent Scarring?
Like any surgical procedure, there are chances of scarring after a revision rhinoplasty as well. If the closed rhinoplasty technique is used, the surgeon will place all incisions within the nostrils. Therefore, there will not be any noticeable scarring.
In case of an open rhinoplasty, an incision will also be placed across the columella. This may leave behind a tiny scar. But the location of the incision is usually discreet which makes the scar inconspicuous.
Double board certified plastic surgeon Dr. Geoffrey R. Keyes receives patients from Beverly Hills, Los Angeles, Bakersfield, California, and nearby areas for revision rhinoplasty surgery.
For more information on the surgical and non-surgical procedures and treatments by Double Board Certified Cosmetic Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Geoffrey R. Keyes, please contact us at (800) 859-7509. Offices in Los Angeles and Bakersfield, CA.
Serving Greater Los Angeles, Beverly Hills, Orange County and surrounding areas of California.